Dr. Sanjiv Goenka
Dr. Sanjiv Goenka, is the Chairman of the RP Sanjiv Goenka Group which has an asset base of over Rs.47,000 crores. The Group has 45,000 employees and over five hundred thousand shareholders with annual revenues of more than Rs 27,000 crores.
The Group’s businesses spanning across eight sectors – Power & Natural Resources, Carbon Black, Retail & Consumer, Media, Entertainment, Sports, IT & Education, include flagship companies such as CESC Limited, Phillips Carbon Black Ltd, Firstsource Solutions Ltd., Spencer’s Retail and Saregama India Ltd.
In April 2001, Dr. Sanjiv Goenka took over as the youngest-ever President of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII). He is currently the Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur (IIT-KGP), and the International Management Institute, Delhi, Bhubaneswar and Kolkata. Sanjiv Goenka is a former President of All India Management Association (AIMA) and was the youngest President of the Indian Chamber of Commerce.
Awards / Recognitions
- Goenka was conferred the World Economic Forum Global Leader for Tomorrow at Davos,
- Switzerland, in 1993.
- The Legacy Honour in 2002 from the Young Presidents Organisation.
- Xaviers College – Nihil Ultra Award of Honour in 2012.
- Indian Business Leader of the Year at Belfast Global India Business Meet in 2013.
- Banga Bibhushan Award for his contribution to the state of West Bengal; (the highest Civilian Award in the State) in 2015.
- Businessman of the Year – Hello Hall of Fame in 2016.
- Distinguished Fellowship Award of Institute of Director, India at their 16th London Global Convention, 2016 ;
- He was also conferred Degree of Doctor of Literature (Honoris Causa D Litt) from the University of North Bengal in 2018.
- Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubaneswar conferred the Honorary Doctoral Degree to Dr.Goenka on 30th October, 2019.
- Conferred Degree of Doctor of Philosophy (Honoris Causa) from Amity University in 2019.
- Asian Leadership Award 2019 – Asian Association of Management Organisations.
Mr. Goenka is ranked No. 18 in India Today’s list of 50 Most powerful people in India in 2019. Son of late Dr. Rama Prasad Goenka, Dr Sanjiv Goenka was born in Kolkata in 1961. He graduated from St. Xavier’s College in 1981. Married to Preeti, they have a daughter Avarna and a son Shashwat.