Prof. K. Vijay Raghavan
Principal Scientific Adviser, Government of India
A Bachelor of Technology graduate in Chemical Engineering from IIT Kanpur in 1975
- Completed doctoral work in 1983 in the field of Molecular Biology. A PhD from the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research.
- Worked as a Research Fellow from 1984 to 1985 and then as a Senior Research Fellow from 1986 to 1988, at the California Institute of Technology
- In 1988, joined the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research as a Reader.
- Instrumental in establishing the National Centre for Biological Sciences (NCBS) in Bengaluru in 1992, under the aegis of the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR)
- Undertook in-depth research to understand the important principles and mechanisms that control the nervous system and muscles during development, and how these neuromuscular systems direct specific locomotory behaviors.
- Former Director of the National Centre for Biological Sciences, Bengaluru. Currently serving as Emeritus Professor
- Served as Secretary, Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Government of India from January 2013 to January 2018
- Foreign Associate of the US National Academy of Sciences
- Fellow of the Royal Society
- Fellow of The Academy of Sciences for the Developing World
- Distinguished Alumnus, IIT Kanpur
- Fellow of the Indian National Science Academy, Indian Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Sciences
- Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research
Major initiatives as PSA, which made significant impact to the STI landscape of the country
PM-STIAC | Empowered Technology Group
Padma Shri in 2013